Far North Coast
Six of Australia's precious World Heritage Listed areas can be found here. Mt Warning which has a rich history for the Aboriginal people, providing a traditional mythology that extends back to the Dreamtime. Many smaller parks, nature reserves, rainforest remnants and State Forests offer the visitor a wonderful experience.
This region also includes Cape Byron, which is the most easterly point in mainland Australia, and one of the best places for seasonal whale-watching.
Scattered throughout the Northern Rivers are dozens of delightful towns, villages and rural hamlets. There are classic country hotels, cafes and guesthouses and an abundance of fetes, fairs and festivals.
The region's cultural mix has produced a vibrant and exuberant regional identity,with thriving visual and performing arts communities. Food lovers will find a new taste sensation at every turn - with an almost unlimited choice of eating houses and dining styles.
A visit to the world famous seaside resort town of Byron Bay wouldn't be complete without a walk to the Cape Byron Lighthouse, Australia's most easterly point.
Murwillumbah district - Photo courtesy of Tourism NSW
In the Directory
- Angourie Beach, Yuraygir National Park - Photo courtesy of Tourism NSW
- Rock fishing off the breakwall - Photo courtesy of Tourism NSW
- Jacaranda tree on the Clarence River - Photo courtesy of Tourism NSW
With average summer temperatures of 21°C - 28°C and average winter temperatures of 15°C - 21°C, both locals and visitors are able to enjoy plenty of outdoor activities including the many festivals throughout the year.
A mix of temperate and tropical currents provide this part of the New South Wales?¢¬Ä¬ô Coast with a myriad of marine creatures. Mainly rocky reefs with coral outcrops.
Most localitlies just off the Pacific Highway. Airports at Coolangatta and Ballina serve the area.
AOI underwater photographic products - a professional OEM/ODM underwater camera casings and underwater electronic products manufacturer. Great quality wet lenses for underwater photography.
Official dealer of SEABOB Luxury Seatoys by CAYAGO. Addictive fun on and underwater. Dive in and discover. Made in Germany.
Underwater Festival 2013 - Prize Shipping
- We use this as the preferred and safest way to transmit credit card details for prize shipping for physical prizes for the 2013 Underwater Festival winners.
- $AU 10.00
Grey Nurse Shark rescued from fishing gaff in Byron Bay
- I joined Sue and big Mark (from the Byron Bay Dive Centre) and (to avoid missing anyone) the Seaworld crew, Marine Parks and Fisheries aboard the Seaworld boat this morning for a rescue attempt. My job was videographer for the underwater part of the operation. All of the shark wrangling was done by Seaworld staff.
Byron Bay - Where Tropical and Temperate Waters Merge
by Wandy Hochgrebe
- Although Byron Bay is one of Australia's most popular holiday destinations, only few people realise the fantastic marine environment Byron Bay has to offer. This popular subtropical township renown for its beautiful beaches and stunning hinterland is part of the Cape Byron Marine Park and home to the Julian Rocks Marine Sanctuary.